Choosing your tubal reversal doctor
It is your decision to choose the surgeon who will perform your tubal reversal. This choice is crucial in determining the success or failure of the procedure.
There a important questions you should ask both of the doctor who intends to carry out your tubal reversal and the hospital or day surgery in which you will have your operation:
- Is the doctor certified as a specialist by the Australian Health Practitioner Regulatory Authority?
( beware as some doctors who put themselves out a specialist tubal reversal surgeons are not specialists at all, however their web sites attempt to avoid this fact)
- Does the doctor have sub-specialty certification (a specialist's specialist) and extensive training in reproductive microsurgery?
(sub-specialty certified specialists will characteristically possess the letters CREI after their name)
- How many tubal reversals has your doctor performed?
(for most doctors tubal reversal is only a small part of the surgery they undertake - you should ask "do you perform more general gynaecological procedures than tubal reversal?")
- Does the doctor perform large numbers of tubal reversal operations per year?
(most doctors who perform tubal reversal in Australia undertake less than 10 operations per year)
- Is the hospital or day surgery where the doctor intends to perform your surgery accredited by your state government department of health?
(typically if they are not then no health insurance fund will pay for the hospital stay or operating theatre component of your surgery)
- Does your doctor perform the operation from beginning to end?
(confirm that no fellows or trainees are undertaking any part of your surgery)
- Does your doctor use a dedicated operating microscope, microsurgical instruments and have staff that are thoroughly experienced in all aspects of microsurgical tubal reversal?
(characteristically who perform low numbers of tubal reversals do not use such facilities)
With over 2000 tubal reversal operations undertaken in more than 25 years I have performed more tubal reversals than any other reproductive microsurgeon currently practicing in Australia. I always perform microsurgical tubal reversal operations from beginning to end. As a certified specialist and sub-specialist with the Australian Health Practitioners Regulatory Authority who only operates in government certified and accredited facilities with specialized microsurgical equipment and staff, you can be assured of the highest standards of care.